Recently, I read an article by Thom Rainer of Lifeway titled “Seven Things Church Members Should Say to Guests.” These seven things help break down barriers. They help with our friendliness to church guests.
The seven things to say are:
- “Thank you for being here;”
- “Let me help you with that;”
- “Please take my seat;”
- “Here is my email address. Please let me know if I can help in any way;”
- “Can I show you where you need to go?”
- “Let me introduce you to ___________;”
- “Would you join us for lunch?”
Taking a guest to lunch results in the highest guest return rate of any one factor. What if we began inviting our guests to lunch? Dr. Rainer says “the burden would not be great; but the impact would be huge!” If we are genuinely guest friendly, then we will see those guests become active members.